To protect the safety of UCI students, faculty, and staff, all Spring 2020 classes will be held remotely. To support you during this transition, here are some of the online learning tools and resources that you can leverage.
For students who may not have access to the internet, the following resources are available:
[expand title=”Remote Success“]
Discover the most essential things you can do to stay well while learning remotely.
Explore tips and strategies for tackling the nuances of remote learning.
Take advantage of tools in Canvas to help you stay on track and succeed.
Find out what you need to do to succeed and where to access the resources to help you do it.
- Canvas Support Hotline 855-213-7130
- UCI Canvas Support firstname.lastname@example.org
[expand title=”Comcast Internet Essentials“]
“Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, Comcast is offering 2 months free to new Internet Essentials customers in response to recent and anticipated emergency measures associated with the Coronavirus (COVID-19).”
[expand title=”Charter Spectrum Broadband“]
“Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.”
- FCC agreement stating that providers will waive late fees, not cutoff service for lack of payment, and open hot-spots.
- Comcast COVID-19 response: offers free WiFi for 2 months to low income families plus all Xfinity hot-spots are free to the public during this time
- Charter Free Internet offer for 2 months
- AT&T COVID-19 response: offers open hot-spots, unlimited data to existing customers, and $10/month plans to low income families
- Verizon COVID-19 response: no special offers, but following the FCC agreement.
- Sprint COVID-19 response: follows FCC agreement, provides unlimited data to existing customers, and, starting Tuesday, 3/17/2020, will allow all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge (I expect others will follow).
- T-Mobile COVID-19 response: follows FCC agreement, plus unlimited data to existing customers, and, coming soon, will allow all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge (I expect others will follow).
Altice/Suddenlink response: offers 30 MB internet to any new subscriber free for 60 days. No late fees or terminations for existing customers
[expand title=”Laptop Loan Program“]
These are very difficult times and not having the right equipment to access your coursework can make them even more difficult. To help alleviate the challenge of securing appropriate computer equipment for remote learning, UCI has secured a number of laptops for free loan during Spring quarter to students who don’t have access to key remote learning tools:
If your class is using Zoom: Instructors will provide you with an unique link for course Zoom meetings.
- Learn more about using Zoom with the UCI Zoom Student Guide
- For Zoom questions, please email email@example.com
Canvas is the platform for all UCI courses. You may already have been using Canvas for multiple activities including lectures, assignments, exams, grades and more. You can access Canvas here:
- Access Canvas: https://canvas.eee.uci.edu/
- Canvas Tool Help: Canvas Student Guide
- View a list of your classes: https://grandcentral.eee.uci.edu/classes
Yuja allows students to view video lectures uploaded by their instructors. You can also store media online using YuJa. It also links to videos using Canvas. You can access YuJa here.: